by Jim Devlin
This is the third Crown that has been in Billericay This building was put up in 1889 and was built to serve the railway trade.
The first Crown was in the middle of the High Street round about where Boots is now and was probably one of the first inns in the town, it was in existence in 1563. By 1615 it had moved to the site now known as Crown Yard and extended northwards along the High Street from the archway. Originally the Crown was the large coaching inn of the town and the stables of this inn can still be seen in Crown yard, although modernised and part of them is now the offices of the Town Council.
The Crown was the starting point for coaches to London and Romford and was the most prosperous and luxurious inn in the town. However the coming of the railway to Brentwood changed all that and eventually the stage coaches ended and the inn fell into decline and closed in around 1860. It then became a beerhouse further north in the High Street around the area of Bellefontaines where it remained until moving to its present site in 1889 for the coming of the railway.