This pub was built to serve the railway. It replaces the Dog & Partridge which stood where the railway cutting is now and was demolished to enable the line to go through. Because Billericay stands on a ridge which got in the way of the line, the railway company had to dig a cutting and chose the lowest point in the ridge.
The Dog & Partridge was a favoured stop for coaches from Southend and watching the cricket on Gentry’s Meadow opposite was popular with pub goers. Gentry’s Meadow also made way for the Railway. The Railway Hotel was built in 1885 to replace the old Dog & Partridge