2. No 21 High Street
The Co-op Building
No 21 was built in 1911 for the Provident Cooperative Society. At the time of this photograph the store was run by the London Cooperative Society and comprised of two side by side shops. The butchers can be clearly seen on the right with the general grocers on the left. To the extreme left of the building the entrance to the staircase to the upper floor can be seen. Originally the upper floor was used for functions and concerts and was called the Cooperative Hall, it is now a Thai restaurant.
This building is on the site of the Fox public house which closed in 1908.
It is interesting to see that part of the building has gone full circle and there is now once again a butchers in the shop unit on the right.