The aerial photo below was taken in 1928 and shows a much smaller town than we are used to today. There are a number of things to look for:
- Station approach was a conventional style rather than as it is today.
- Crown Road only has buildings on the lower half and the whole of the area of Chantry way and the Cloisters are yet to be developed.
- Much of the area between Western Road and the railway is still to be developed.
- In the high Street on the West (lower) side you can see Major Spitty’s Hurlocks with the tower room on top.
- The large warehouse style building on the East (upper) side is a builders and timber merchants where the 1960s Billericay Homecare block is now.
Click on the image below to enlarge on your screen.