The two photographs above shows Hurlocks in a poor state of repair just before demolition. The building was originally constructed in the 16th century but remodeled and refurbished in the 18th century. The photograph below is poor quality and from the 1930’s. However, it shows another view of the lookout on the roof from which Major Spitty, who died in 1896, was able to view the local farms which he owned and also monitor progress in digging out the lake on his land at Hill House Farm, later to become Lake Meadows.
The building was used by the Army during the Second World War and on 23rd September 1940 a machine gunner in the lookout tower shot at and detonated a parachute mine in the air as it was drifting down, saving the High Street from major destruction. After the war the building was sold to the London Cooperative Society who built a large new store there in the late 1950’s.
Just before the turn of the 20th century in the late 1990’s the Co-op closed and the shop was converted into a pub by Whetherspoons and called the Blue Boar. A pub of the same name is reputed to have been sited where No. 49 is today and it was supposed to have had a large glass blue pig outside.