This building was a series of three large cottages which were demolished in the early 60’s to make way for the shops and flats that occupy the site today. Number 23 is mostly out of shot on the right (see bottom of page for photo), 25 is the cottage with the white front door and 27 is the tobacconist on the left and had at various times been a butcher’s and a baker’s
These three cottages were originally built in the 17th century and were weatherboarded timber frame buildings. In the photograph it is clear that the buildings had been rendered and pebbledashed. Note the poster for Laindon Cinema and Billericay Cinema, Billericay is showing Doctor at Large which was released in 1957. Thus we can date this photo.