The City Coach Company’s long distance service Number 1 ran between Tylers Avenue, Southend, and London, Wood Green or Kentish Town. Originally buses going in both directions used part of the High Street, as far as the junction with Chapel Street. This being a wide junction then, they were able to use it to turn round and return through the High Street. Before the war this manoeuvre resulted in an accident in which a Mrs. Stringer, of Jacksons Lane, was fatally injured by a reversing bus.This service was then re-routed, missing out the High Street.
This 1950’s picture shows a bus turning into the High Street. Also shown is the wide former market area in front of the Chequers, while Chapel Street on the left, is still two-way despite its narrow access.