Outline History of The Billericay Society


  • 27 July 1935
  • Formation of The Billericay Area Group of the Essex Branch of the Council for the Preservation of Rural England because local people were alarmed by the rapid expansion of the area ……. uncontrolled housing developments…..advertisement hoardings etc
  • Silver Jubilee of King George V
  • Flowering cherries planted at Sun Corner



  • Published A Plan for Billericay


  • Involvement in designing and siting of 1939 – 1945 War Memorial


  • Opposition to Hanningfield reservoir


  • Trees planted on green in London Road to commemorate the Festival of Britain


  • Publication of Billericay and its High Street by Harry Richman


  • Billericay Mayflower sign erected in London Road to celebrate the Queen’s Coronation donated by Mrs Cater


  • This green now designated Perry Green


  • Basildon Council formed High Street Panel. Two representatives of Bill Soc served on this until its demise in 1974

7 May 1960        

  • Cater Museum opened


  • Tree survey carried out
  • Negotiations for Basildon Council to purchase Norsey Woods


  • Local footpaths start to be signed. Footpath signs were removed during the War.
  • First edition of Billericay Bulletin …. Issued quarterly …. now The Newsletter


  • First Tree Preservation orders on individual trees
  • Ornamental trees planted on Norsey Meadow


  • Large housing projects under way


  • Billericay Footpath Map produced by Norman Turner and Alec McGregor
  • Successful opposition to Billericay Inner Relief Road Scheme


  • Opposition to Stansted Airport


  • Open Spaces in Billericay published



  • Opposition to Maplin Airport
  • Local Traffic Survey



  • Norsey Woods becomes a Public Open Space
  • Another Traffic Survey


  • The Billericay Walk, to celebrate Queen’s Jubilee (raising money which paid for a seat near The Chequers) …. Becomes an annual event


  • Successfully opposed planning application for development of Quilters Meadow Town Field (Sun Corner) so that it remains a public open space


  • First of eight annual Antiques Fairs, organised by Vic Meecham


  • Trees planted in tubs in the High Street


  • Start of collection of photos of all listed buildings in Billericay
  • Massive litter collection from around Billericay railway station.


  • Discovering Billericay High Street Walk started by Alec McGregor and Ted Wright …. Another annual event


  • Daffodils planted on railway platform embankments
  • Picnic table and chairs donated to Laindon Common


  • Little Burstead forms breakaway group
  • 16th Century barn from Chapel Street re-erected at Watt Tyler Country Park (later burned down)
  • Discussions with NFU concerning issues such as stubble burning


  • Negotiated recutting of lettering on the 1914 – 1918 War Memorial
  • Start of marketable mementoes of The Society
  • Publication of Billericay in Old Picture Postcards, Vic Meecham and Harvey Proctor MP


  • Opposition to Bradwell Nuclear Waste Dump
  • Another town sign, on Laindon Common, Noak Hill Road to commemorate 50 years of The Society. Carved by Peter Benson
  • Monthly Social Meetings started under Len Budd. Visits to places of interest have always been an aspect of The Societies activities


  • Another Traffic Survey


  • Town Sign on Perry Street in bad way … replaced by metal one …. Designed by Roy Mizen


  • History prepared of The Old Town Hall … did not get listed status …. Preservation Trust set up
  • Concerns also about Church House
  • Report submitted to Basildon Council concerning state of pavements in the High Street  … some paving renewed
  • Billericay District Buildings Preservation Trust established and financed by The Society …. feasibility study carried out on The old Town Hall
  • Billericay Town Council Steering Committee established


  • Objections to development of The Old Fold site
  • Monitored traffic survey prepared by Council for Billericay
  • Council agreed to name all ancient woodlands in The District Plan
  • Council agreed to keep boundaries of Conservation Area
  • Architectural Heritage Fund provided £2500 for feasibility study on Cray’s Hill Church
  • Monitored possible development of St Andrew’s site for Tesco Supermarket
  • Objected to move of Burns Unit from Billericay to Broomfield
  • Billericay District Buildings Preservation Trust secured grant from Architectural Heritage Trust for feasibility study on Church House


  • Special Advisory Committee established for High Street Conservation Area
  • Another Town Sign erected at Potash Road to mark Society’s 60th year …. paid for by Basildon Council?
  • Local Government Commission recommended that Billericay should split from Basildon and join up with Brentwood


  • Basildon and Thurrock General Hospitals “Vision 2000” … we asked for St Andrew’s to be modernised grant
  • Grant withdrawn from Recreation Reading Rooms Trust
  • Concern about future of Old Post Office Building … meeting with Royal Mail Property Holdings
  • High Street Panel began meetings
  • Analysis of Basildon District Local Plan Enquiry presented by Roy Mizen at Society’s AGM
  • Negative value for Church House
  • Meeting with Health Authority … same as 1995
  • Society reviewed Basildon and Thurrock General Hospitals Vision 2000 …. Analysis prepared by Roy Mizen … still asking for St Andrew’s to be modernised
  • Objection to BCC plan to sell off parcels of land in Mountnessing Road and Queen’s Park areas
  • Comments sent on development of Mountnessing Open Space
  • Modifications suggested to railings around War Memorial
  • Comments sent on plans for Waitrose Supermarket
  • Society not involved with various twinning schemes


  • Replacement sign for Noak Hill Road … Peter Benson
  • Ideas requested for use of Porter’s Lodge (Listed Grade II) on the St Andrew’s site


No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+