Our first wooden town sign was erected on Perry Green by the A129 junction with Mountnessing Road to commemorate Queen’s Elizabeth’s Coronation in 1953. Mrs. Cater, founder of the Cater Museum, unveiled the first town sign.
With two restorations, it stood for 40 years.
A second sign on the A176 Noak Hill Road carved by Peter Benson and unveiled in 1986
The original town sign on Perry Green eventually succumbed to age and a new sign, our third, made from weather resistant metal replaced it in March 1997. This sign was designed by the Billericay Society past chairman Roy Mizen.
Erected in 1995, our fourth town sign is in Stock Road [B1007] by the Potash roundabout. This was to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the Billericay Society. The main board is made of Iroco, a hard wood from Africa. Splitting of the leg supports damaged this sign in August 1997. It was restored by Peter Benson and was re-erected in October 2000.