The clock returns
The refurbished St Mary Magdalen clock is reinstalled.
The clock on St Mary Magdalen was originally afixed to the tower in 1897. It was errected to celebrate the Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee and was paid for by public subscription as well as parish funds. After 109 years of being the central timepiece of the town, time itself was taking it’s toll. At the end of 2006 the clock stopped. Repairs on site failed to cure the problem. It was in need of major surgery so that it could continue to be a centrepiece of the High Street. Engineers decided that it was necessary to completely remove the clock and send it to Derby for repair and Basildon Council agreed to fund the work.
On Sunday 27th January 2008 the High Street was closed to traffic so that a crane could lift the clock into position. A much loved friend was home ready for another 100 years service.