The Billericay First World War Memorial was unveiled on Sunday 16th October 1921 by Major General Sir William Thwaites and Rev. S L Brown, the Rector of Fryerning Parish Church conducted the dedication service.
This memorial was erected after there was a desire to mark the fallen in some way. This desire was being expressed in towns and villages all over the country and by 1920 this had reached a peak and Billericay made plans to have a Memorial. In October of that year it was decided the best way of honouring the fallen was to have a cross erected on the land to the north of St Mary Magdelen church in the High Street. By February it was decided that a Public War Memorial Committee would be charged with the cost and erection of the Memorial.
Work to install the memorial was quick and the unveiling and dedication were done in time for the third anniversary of the armistice.
The method by which names appeared on the Memorial is lost but it probably was up to relatives to put forward names of loved ones. Thus some names appear on more than one Memorial in the area and some of the men remembered were not residents of Billericay before the war.
The men remembered are: